The time has come my friends to change over from lead-acid technology to LiFePo. The original 2x 100Ah agm batteries are now 2.5years old and pricing for lithium replacements has become rather attractive in terms of life cycles. 4000 full depth cycles is a lot( >daily for 10 years!).
I have opted for itech 120Ah batteries which drop into the same battery boxes as the old ones. I save around 30kg of payload as well. They can be drawn down to 100% of capacity compared to 50% for lead-acid. This is ideal for me as I am mostly off grid.
Another advantage is that they can discharge at high amps (150A@12.8v = 1800W each) to easily drive my inverter. The old ones needed to be fully charged to run my pizza oven and even then i had to top up with the engine running to ensure sufficient power remained for the fridge overnight. Moving to induction hob cooking will also be easier.
I did need to invest in a more suitable AC/DC LiFePo charger but that was expected.
Here are the new bits. Next step fitment.
#vanlife #rockwallaby #sprinter4x4
![]() |
| Two 120Ah LiFePO batteries and a 240v charger |

No comments:
Post a Comment