Topics of interest

▼

Tuesday, 21 July 2026

Mundatharrda 2026 Day 13

Day 13 - 20/7/26

It was time for farewells and to go our separate ways. Michelle and Paul had to head south again along the original route. Thanks so much, I enjoyed the company and banter.


I had other plans and head to Burringurrah Mt Augustus only this time taking in the Kennedy Loop Track. This turned into a serious challenge and I put the vehicle and myself in stressful situations that emotionally drained me. 


The first situation was the initial crossing of the Gascoyne River which presented a wide expanse of soft river wash gravel. La Bestia is heavy and runs on relatively narrow tyres. I had to dig her out twice using the recovery boards but got across in the end.


There were repeated patches of steep rock and narrow deep creek bed crossings along the way with scrub branches scraping to side of the vehicle repeatedly.


At one point I tried to exit the trail at what seemed to be an alternate entry point but that track dissipated so I had to return which wasted both time and fuel. This demonstrated just how under prepared I was (highly unusual).  A bit too much bravado since the Big Loop last year. 


One long steep rocky climb really tested us out but we got there and suddenly on top of the mesa which is Mundatharrda. Now it turned to sandy corrugations and seemingly never ended loops around the dunes. 


At one point I heard a loud crack and the left hand mirror was folded in and the mirror missing. I stopped and ran back to find it intact and spotted the thick overhanging branch I had hit. Fortunately I was able to fit it back in and carry on only now I folded the mirrors back in to avoid it happening again.


The track now headed to the edge of the escarpment and I stopped at the Great Gorge to launch the drone. Some satisfying pics at least for the trials and tribulations. It would be great to camp up here but sadly the rules have changed and it has been disallowed. Time was moving on and the sun dropping so I needed to hustle. 


The track down was fairly uneventful but tight and winding. No hassle but darkness was now upon me. I passed some old dilapidated station buildings and the track became a road of sorts. Out of low range and on with the spotlights and it was now relatively plain sailing.


Reached the Ullawarra Road, switched out of 4WD and turned north  in the hope of finding a suitable roadside stop. I found one at a creek crossing which carries a story of a man who went missing from here in 1982. Locked the vehicle for the first time tonight!


143km of tough going but we made it. Graunched the underside a few times on rocks but no obvious damage incurred and no liquids coming out where they shouldn’t. Perhaps I will do more research next time before attempting such a long 4WD trek. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment