Monday, 18 May 2026

La Bestia 14/12/23

 Let’s talk electricals for remote off grid travel.

The two most influential questions are:

1 Do I need / want the functionality?

2 What power source?

I had decided on lpg for hot water and cooking although I’ve ended up using the induction cooktop supplemented by butane cookers as they are more versatile for outdoor cooking and the spin off is that the lpg is saved for hot water duties. This is important as the gas bottle is limited to 3.7kg. The induction cooktop is fantastic in the wind.

12v, 18v or inverter driven 240v?

12v

All lighting,

Fridge,

Diesel heater fan,

Cooking area exhaust fan,

Ensuite exhaust fan/light & toilet,

House cooling fan,

Water pump,

Bar fridge,

HEPA filter,

Vacuum sealer,

Electric blanket,

Fuel transfer pump,

Water transfer pump,

Back up compressor,

TV (rarely carried).


18v Ozito

Chainsaw,

Hammer drill,

Impact wrench,

Reciprocating saw,

Blower,

Side grinder,

Vacuum,

Spotlight.

240v via 1600/1800W inverter (twin 120Ah LiFePo batteries each capable of 150A continuous discharge)

Air compressor, 550W

Ozito battery charger, 70W

Microwave, 1000W

Pizza oven, 2*650W switchable elements

Induction cooktop, 1100-1350W 

Kettle, 1000W

Toaster 750W

Mini air fryer 900W

Heat gun, 1600W (electrical repairs)

Stick mixer, 200W

Soldering iron, 40W

My DCDC charger can take up to 600W of solar input with 200W fixed panel on the roof plus two direct input points on the outside of the van. This means I can bypass the panel controller and feed raw power into my central DCDC charger. 

I carry:

2x100W Voltech fixed panels the same as the roof panel to which I added fold out legs. These run high voltage and are very efficient,

120W Kings fold up mat c/w regulator to charge the vehicle battery on long stays

NB I have tried quite a few portable fold out units but most run max voltage of 18.6V whereas the Voltech run at 23.4v and the Kings mats 19.2v. It’s best to match voltages for efficiency therefore my Voltech gets used the most. It’s also the lightest and easiest to set up.

As always, questions welcome.

#vanlife #rockwallaby #sprinter4x4



12v HEPA filter

12v Brass monkey 15L bar fridge

18v Ozito tools
240v compressor 

240v pizza oven

240v Ozito charger

240v microwave 

240v induction hot plate

240v kettle

240v soldering iron

240v stick mixer

240v heat gun


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Piccanniny Gorge

 Thought I’d share this aerial view of Piccaninny Gorge. I trekked up this Purnululu NP gorge in 2022 which was a tough but wonderfully sati...

Popular Posts