Monday, 18 May 2026

La Bestia 28/1/26

 Yo there dear followers. As most of you know summer is my ‘other passion time’ 🏍️

That doesn’t stop me continuing to rearrange, improve or reinforce stuff in La Bestia. In fact having such a vehicle is a continuous improvement program. Always thinking of making it better for next time…

Indeed that has been happening in the background since my return in November.

Modification #1

Install a turnbuckle arrangement to support the microwave which decided to sag during the Big Loop (after a barrage of hyper corrugated roads).

Modification #2

Add tyre and cargo racks to the rear end. I bought these on line while in Katherine after seeing another Sprinter with them fitted at Pentecost River xing. A little bit nerve wracking having to drill through the door panels but turned out well in the end.

The tyre rack gets the second spare out of the boot and is more accessible in times of need. The cargo rack is a base unit to which I have fitted a truck lock box and a fuel carrier. The truck box carries the bits and pieces required to perform a wheel change without having to dig around inside the boot. 

I have both single and twin fuel can carriers that can be installed. This gets fuel out of the boot space. In addition I can fit a carrier for a spare 4kg lpg bottle above the fuel can for really remote longer duration trips. Mind you I only use lpg for hot water as I am up to speed with induction cooking powered by the sun/batteries.

I’m quite pleased at how it has turned out. The extra space in the boot is welcome. First test will be a short trip around the Murchison/Gascoyne with my daughter in April/May.

PS: I have also developed a bike rack to get it out of the boot as well.

#sprinter4x4

Turnbuckle supporting the microwave 

Weldbeat frames in place, wheel mounted

Truck lockbox in place

Single fuel can carrier in place

Dirty bag & spare lpg fitted

Wheel change gear in the lockbox

Bike rack fitted


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Piccanniny Gorge

 Thought I’d share this aerial view of Piccaninny Gorge. I trekked up this Purnululu NP gorge in 2022 which was a tough but wonderfully sati...

Popular Posts