Monday, 18 May 2026

La Bestia davit

 One consequence of getting the second spare out of the boot was how to lift the wheel on/off the frame. I’m neither tall nor strong and generally travel solo. I used to use a ramp to roll it out of the boot.

My engineering brain kicked in and came up with a ‘drop in davit’ concept. The Weldbeat frames have a hollow upright as the primary member so I reckoned a steel tube would drop inside. All I needed to do was run some numbers on diameter and wall thickness to find a suitable tube.

Anyway it turns out 38mm OD exhaust pipe met the criteria with a safe working load of 40kg. The wheel weighs 25kg. I engaged an exhaust specialist to bend a section of pipe. I then fitted back to back exhaust clamps to provide the depth stopper and two eye bolts to hang a four part tackle arrangement. No welding required.

It works well and only weighs 5kg all up. I’m chuffed as it helps with the fuel can on the other side.

PS: I proof load tested it by hanging off it myself (78kg)

PPS: I centred the wheel lift by adding a soft sling threaded through the rim holes rather than hooking the carabiner to them.

#sprinter4x4 #rockwallaby

Full rig

Rig in place on cargo side

Wheel lift

Fuel can lift


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Piccanniny Gorge

 Thought I’d share this aerial view of Piccaninny Gorge. I trekked up this Purnululu NP gorge in 2022 which was a tough but wonderfully sati...

Popular Posts