Sunday, 17 May 2026

La Bestia 18/6/24 P9

 I have talked of the ‘house’ fitout but what of the vehicle?

My first modification was to fit Toyo Open Country all terrain tyres. I rotate all 6 every 8000km to maintain even wear.

The first trip revealed a few electronics idiosyncrasies that I needed to understand better so onto the sprinter forum I ventured. Lots to be learnt through direct experience of others.

I had always intended to fit a bullbar but availability for the latest model was limited. Also the constant high load of the house fitout induced a sag in the rear which ideally I’d like rectified with a suspension upgrade.

Eventually an ECB bullbar was fitted which enabled a UHF aerial and later driving lights. I also fitted two sets of driving lights. One pair pointing straight ahead and the other pair pointing 2.5deg outward on either side. They are independently wired and great for remote road vision.

The suspension upgrade consisted of fitting helper springs to the rear leaf bundle and koni shocks/struts. This lifted the rear end the necessary 30mm. Bounce control is significantly improved over the standard shocks.

I also fitted a pair of gas bonnet struts as it is heavy and needed to be lifted quite high to use the original mechanical spacer rod.

#vanlife

#sprinter4x4


Old v new

OE suspension components 

Bullbar UHF aerial and first pair of driving lights

Second pair of driving lights pointing 2.5° outward

Gas bonnet strut


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Piccanniny Gorge

 Thought I’d share this aerial view of Piccaninny Gorge. I trekked up this Purnululu NP gorge in 2022 which was a tough but wonderfully sati...

Popular Posts