Sunday, 17 May 2026

La Bestia 18/6/23 P2

 So I had to go to 4WD as a baseline but what camping arrangement?

Camper trailer

Rooftop or tent/swag

Slide on/off

Van

A myriad of clever camper trailer designs exist. I wasn’t keen on towing.

Rooftop was too confined and tents/swags was ‘going backwards’ imo.

Slide on/off caught my attention for a while however they suffer from GVM restrictions. I wanted my camper to be a sturdy base for remote travels without having to be too concerned with the loadout.

So it was back to a van. Who made decent size 4WD vans? VW and Mercedes was pretty much it. I had had a great experience with the Vito so I leaned toward Merc. Their Sprinter model was available in a range of sizes and their 4WD was lifted 100mm from standard.

The Mercedes Sprinter 4x4 MWB high roof 4xy became my base case (xy being engine size related). GVM = 4.1 tonne. The 3L V6 was my powertrain of choice hence the full designation is:

W907 Sprinter MWB HR 419 4x4

I chose the shorter medium wheelbase to optimise manoeuvrability and clearance given the places I wanted to go. This created space constraints which required compromises and creativity within the house design.

#vanlife

#sprinter4x4


2020 Brochure 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Featured Post

Piccanniny Gorge

 Thought I’d share this aerial view of Piccaninny Gorge. I trekked up this Purnululu NP gorge in 2022 which was a tough but wonderfully sati...

Popular Posts